This is a blog of a garden developing from a patch of grass to a wildlife haven. You can watch the garden grow with me and learn of interesting occurences! I have been creating a garden with wildlife in mind, and I hope to encourage people to welcome wildlife back into their gardens too. If you don't have a garden, this blog can be your garden, and you may learn of things you can do to help wildlife anyway!

I am, of course, only a begginer at gardening, but I hope to learn as I go along. I will add any useful information I collect to the blog as and when I discover it.

Wednesday 30 April 2008

Dunnock – visited garden

These probably aren’t the clearest photos I have of a dunnock but they are my favourites. They show the perils of being small on a windy day as the dunnock tries to sing but then has to cling on as a strong gust of wind threatens to blow him off his perch.

Along with the blue-tits, the dunnock is one of the birds I see most often in the garden. If there is a scribbley sort of song being sung in the garden then it is probably the dunnock. I’ve even heard him break out into song from the bird-table when I was only three metres away working in the garden. (His favourite perch is the corner of the fence just above the blue-tits’ nest-box.) As well as singing, the dunnocks have been feeding from the bird table and generally hanging around.









1 comment:

Ruth said...

Dunnock's other name is hedge sparrow, but he is not really a sparrow.