This is a blog of a garden developing from a patch of grass to a wildlife haven. You can watch the garden grow with me and learn of interesting occurences! I have been creating a garden with wildlife in mind, and I hope to encourage people to welcome wildlife back into their gardens too. If you don't have a garden, this blog can be your garden, and you may learn of things you can do to help wildlife anyway!

I am, of course, only a begginer at gardening, but I hope to learn as I go along. I will add any useful information I collect to the blog as and when I discover it.

Wednesday 30 April 2008

Chaffinch – visited garden


The male chaffinch is on the feeder and the female is looking down at him. I have seen the female less frequently than the male. I have seen her feeding a few times, from the table and the ground. The male I have seen feeding from the table, ground and feeders. I have also seen him washing and drinking from the bird-bath, and calling and singing from the tree.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Maybe the female is busy sitting on eggs?

Manda said...

Yes I think she is. I think that's why I usually see more males in all species. Even when I do see females, they are all sort of nondescript and brown so are hard to identify anyway (especially with my basic bird book - it doesn't show females). I can normally only tell what they are if they are out with their partner!