This is a blog of a garden developing from a patch of grass to a wildlife haven. You can watch the garden grow with me and learn of interesting occurences! I have been creating a garden with wildlife in mind, and I hope to encourage people to welcome wildlife back into their gardens too. If you don't have a garden, this blog can be your garden, and you may learn of things you can do to help wildlife anyway!

I am, of course, only a begginer at gardening, but I hope to learn as I go along. I will add any useful information I collect to the blog as and when I discover it.

Wednesday 30 April 2008

Blackbird – visited garden

The male blackbird is perched on the fence and hopping about looking for food in the grass. The female (who is confusingly brown) is making a mess looking under dry grass for bugs and worms. I don’t mind because I put the grass there for the birds anyway in the hope they would use it for nest material.
Both male and female have been feeding from the ground and collecting nest material and the male has been singing regularly. He sounds most beautiful in the evening when all the other birds have gone quiet.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

I wonder how many people know that a female blackbird is actually brown? Your website will be good for telling people about little everyday facts about nature.

Miss Robyn said...

Hi Manda! the blackbird is a bird very close to my heart. when I first met Daisy, I would complain about the blackbird tossing the straw from my garden, then she explained that they ate snails and I thought to myself:wonderful!
when Daisy died, a blackbird sat on a post near my front step and has followed me around the garden every so often... on my birthday, the blackbird sat in the tree when the candles were lit on the cake and sang her heart out... a sign from Daisy I am sure (Daisy was my soul twin who I met through blogging)
great blog! I look forward to reading more xo