This is a blog of a garden developing from a patch of grass to a wildlife haven. You can watch the garden grow with me and learn of interesting occurences! I have been creating a garden with wildlife in mind, and I hope to encourage people to welcome wildlife back into their gardens too. If you don't have a garden, this blog can be your garden, and you may learn of things you can do to help wildlife anyway!

I am, of course, only a begginer at gardening, but I hope to learn as I go along. I will add any useful information I collect to the blog as and when I discover it.

Wednesday 16 April 2008

Choosing plants

When it came to choosing my plants I was quite lucky; my mum has a huge garden with similar soil and conditions to mine and was quite willing to donate some plants to my garden. We were easily able to dig up quite a large number of plants, even some small trees, and not really notice the gaps. It was an advantage taking them from here because a) I knew they were the type of plants that would thrive in my garden, b) they were free!

Several other people started offering donations, and I accepted them all. I decided I would just see what would grow. I did buy some plants from the garden centre too, but I still think the free ones are best!

I did also think about what I wanted my plants to do in the garden as well. I wanted plants that would do well in my garden. I wanted some big plants, like tree and shrubs, to drink some of the water out of the soggy lawn and to provide cover and shelter for birds. I wanted plants that would provide food for birds in the form of seeds or fruit. I wanted flowering plants to attract insects as these are another source of food to birds and to other animals such as bats. And I also wanted some pretty plants, because afterall, it is my garden too!

I will tell you about the plants in my garden as this blog progresses - it would take too long to list and explain them all at once!

If you are choosing plants for your garden you may want to consider the things above. Obviously if you are buying all your plants, cost is another consideration, but do ask around the people you know first. Even if they can't spare whole plants, they may be able to give you cuttings which, with time and a little bit of care, will grow into full size plants.

Try to use native species of plants in your garden - that is, ones that come originally come from this country, or even your area - rather than the more exotic ones. They are more likely to survive for a start and are more likely to support the local wildlife. I did get some non-native plants and they are partly for asthetic reasons - they are evergreen so will keep my garden green all year and they also have flowers - but hopefully the birds will be able to use them as cover too, particullary in the winter months when everything else is bare.
Picture - a baby hawthorn from my mum's garden. Good for the birds in more way than one!

1 comment:

Ruth said...

I'm really glad a few of my hawthorn babies have found a good home. My trees are very prolific parents! This is a really good native British species to encourage wildlife - the birds gorge on the berries in the autumn.