This is a blog of a garden developing from a patch of grass to a wildlife haven. You can watch the garden grow with me and learn of interesting occurences! I have been creating a garden with wildlife in mind, and I hope to encourage people to welcome wildlife back into their gardens too. If you don't have a garden, this blog can be your garden, and you may learn of things you can do to help wildlife anyway!

I am, of course, only a begginer at gardening, but I hope to learn as I go along. I will add any useful information I collect to the blog as and when I discover it.

Friday 9 May 2008

Starling – visited garden


These are the birds you see flying around in large flocks, either urban areas or in the country. At the start of the month, sightings of starling were few and far between and just one was enough to get me excited. I saw one investigating a neighbour’s gable end for nesting possibilities and also one collecting nest material (which involved frantically trying to tug a marking ribbon off one of my plants!). I don’t know where they ended up nesting though. I heard the familiar clicking and whistling of a starling song from the distance and I thought that was as good as it was going to get. But, one day there were loads of starlings feeding from lawns and flying up to near-by roofs. I saw them a few times before they eventually visited our garden. Yippee!

1 comment:

Ruth said...

We have a pair nesting undr our eaves and the babies are very noisy and vigorous now. We need to get the roof mended but we'll have to wait until they've fledged now!