This is a blog of a garden developing from a patch of grass to a wildlife haven. You can watch the garden grow with me and learn of interesting occurences! I have been creating a garden with wildlife in mind, and I hope to encourage people to welcome wildlife back into their gardens too. If you don't have a garden, this blog can be your garden, and you may learn of things you can do to help wildlife anyway!

I am, of course, only a begginer at gardening, but I hope to learn as I go along. I will add any useful information I collect to the blog as and when I discover it.

Friday 9 May 2008

Robin – visited garden


The robins have become more elusive towards the end of the month but I saw them quite regularly earlier on. As you can see, there are two robins and they are quite at ease in each other’s company. (I will try to get a better picture than this, but the robins always see me and fly away!) This means they are a pair, as both male and female robins are territorial and will not usually tolerate any other robins on their patch. Both sexes sing to mark their territory and will fight off any intruders. The robins were singing more often at the start of the month, but more recently I have only seen one (and then only fleetingly) and have not heard much singing. I strongly suspect that they have a family and there is always one robin at home to look after the young and the other is busy looking for food! (The other bird muscling in on the photo is a dunnock.)

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Yes that's interesting - our robins have also become less visible over the last couple of weeks. I wonder if they are nesting in the wood?